Wednesday, May 1, 2013

J. Crew Reviews: New Spring Arrivals - Tops

I did a marathon try-on session today. Whew. It was fun but I left feeling a little disappointed. All the high-neck dresses are not really working for me and where, oh where, are the printed pencil skirts? Perhaps they are coming later in the spring. That is what I want to see. The sale section was certainly full and I think there are plenty of bargains to be found. Anyhoo, here's some new stuff!

Merino Tippi Sweater in Stripe Monarch (XS)
Cafe Capri in Seersucker (size 0)

 I'll review the pants in another post. The sweater. Hmmm... I'm sure some will love it and I adore butterflies but man did I feel like I had shopped at Kmart. I actually checked the tag of the sweater because the knit felt so much like acrylic. This sweater ran rather long. The knit is pretty thick too, thicker than your average tippi, so I wouldn't consider this so spring-like.

 Merino Tippi Sweater in Graphic Floral (XS)

The fit on this was much better but I'm still not feeling these. The graphics just look cheap to me.

 Linen Eyelet Top (size 0)
 This is already sold out! I see why - it is absolutely adorable. This is one size smaller than my usual size and I think that's right although it did feel slightly tight in the shoulders. The side view is not so great but it's quite cute from the front and back. My only complaint is that the slight shirring/pleating right below the eyelet on the front emphasizes my ample bosom and I'm not sure this is a good thing. Those who are less endowed will be fine.

 Linen Eyelet Top (size 2)
No. 2 Pencil Skirt in Navy-White Stripe (size 2)
Here's the size 2, my regular size, and I'm not loving it. Felt a bit too maternity although does solve the shoulder tightness and the slight pulling over the bustline. What do you think? I'll review the skirt in another post.

Swoop Top in Punk Floral (size 2)


I'm showing the back view first because I think that's the best part of this blouse. LOVE it. The front with the pleating is not great for larger busted ladies.

 Trying to show how it is definitely too big. Would love to try on the size 0 but this puppy is definitely selling out fast! The shade of green is fantastic but again I'm not loving this print. Where are the sunshine peonies or watercolor floral prints?

 Floral-Stripe Tee (XXS)
Love the lightweight feel of this tee and the fit. So cute. Not loving the flowers. Feels too much like my grandma's couch. Again, just my opinion.

Embroidered Gauze Top in Navy (XXS)
Don't know what happened with my pic on this one. Not sure if less blurry would make it any better. This run really large! Is it a beach cover-up? It lists it under the top section but I felt a bit silly. Would be cute as a casual throw-on during a beach vacation.

Silk-Collar Tee (XS) in Navy
I've tried this on before and was debating purchasing it. It's so flattering but I don't usually wear stuff so high up on my neck and am not sure if this is too far out of my comfort zone.
Thoughts?

Downtown Field Jacket (XXS) in Mossy Brown
Love this jacket and thought I would try on an XXS just out of curiosity. Love the way it looks but I couldn't even move my arms. I will stick to my usual size XS.

Will have some bottoms and dresses reviews shortly.

What are you loving from the recent rollout?



11 comments:

  1. Ahh, the eyelet top! I tried it in navy, and I too was able to size down one time, size 6 to size 4, no shoulder or bust tightness, but it was still so shapeless in the body.  The cuteness of the top can't save it for me, the body is just too barrel-like.  Not flattering.

    Thanks for the reviews! Completely agree with your opinion of the stripe floral top (it's always nice to hear everyone's honest opinion), except the flowers resembke my great-grandmother's wallpaper. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you had the same thoughts on both the eyelet top and the stripe floral top. It's so easy for me to get caught up in the "hype" over an item that I end up getting whatever the clothing version of Beer Goggles is!

      Delete
  2. I adore the downtown field jacket...swoon. Maybe one day.

    The silk collar tee looks adorable, especially so sleek with the matching navy eyelet. It's pretty well priced on sale too.

    I'm really not feeling any of the new rollout though- the print tippis and punk print just don't thrill me. Which is fine, since I've purchased too many thrills this spring! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Downtown Field Jacket is so classic. I ADORE it. Too pricey for me though and it really never goes on sale.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you! The green background color is really beautiful.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the reviews! I love the eyelet top and tried it in the rose(?) color. I didn't love it until I rolled the sleeves twice, that seemed to balance the shapeless body of the top. I sized up in it because I didn't like the tight seam across the bust. I liked the white too, but I have the white Tessa top from last year and the silhouette is similar. The Punk Floral top looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good to know about rolling the sleeves - that's a smart idea. Sometimes balancing proportions is all it takes to make something look more flattering.

      Delete
  5. Hope you got the silk collar tee - looks great on you. I debated both colors, bought, returned, repurchased on sale and I love this top. My sister calls it my "nun" top but nonetheless (ha! Pun intended!) I think it's adorable and really comfortable too. Thanks for all the reviews, they are very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's hilarious! My husband was a bit non-plussed and I'm still on the fence about it. I have this thing about tight necklines - hated them ever since I was a kid. Still mulling over this one...

      Delete
  6. I love the linen top. I have gotten so much wear out of my downtown field. It layers under, too, which surprised me. I learned that from Lisa/Respect the Shoes. Can't remember if you're in a hot climate, though. Great reviews. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete