Monday, August 20, 2012

J Crew Reviews - A few new arrivals

I can't believe the summer is over and fall is quickly approaching. I live for the long lazy days of summer but fall fashion certainly eases the blow of returning to school and a more active work schedule! Slipped into J Crew to return a few things that didn't work and here is what I found.

French Hen Sweater (XXS) in Acorn Blue
Granted this sweater is a size smaller than I usually take but it is quite a tight weave so felt particularly small. The wool is also quite scratchy. I am in the love camp of animals on sweaters but the acorn color is a bit off. I would call if sort of caramel but whatever color it is it is not good on my skin tone. See if on Gigi here.

Paisley Applique Top (XXS) in Ivory 
Again, this is a size smaller than I would usually try on but there were no XS. The neckline is too high for my taste and although the applique is interesting the shirt felt sort of cheap. In the right size it would be fine but nothing too extraordinary.

Sandwashed Silk Tee (size 2) in Festival Blue
I had such high hopes for this! I'm a little obsessed with silk tops these days. I think the cut is maybe too plain. Plus the fit is a bit too loose. I don't think sizing down will help as the shoulders would be too tight. The silk was very soft.

Tie-Neck Top in Dot (size 2 or 4)
It's a sweet little top but I find it annoying you can't unbutton it and wear the tie a little more loosely. You can really only wear it with the tie up around the neck. Would look great tucked into some wide-legged trousers. 

Jules Dress in Colorblock (size 2) in festival blue navy 
Oh the Jules Dress! I am determined to have it work for me in one of its many iterations but so far... no success!! The silk is lovely and I actually think this might have worked if the pockets had been on the front instead of on the side. They simply added too much bulk on the side and I know I would spend the day sticking my hands in my pockets to make sure they lay flat.

jules dress in colorblock (size 0) 
Definitely liked the fit of the 0 better although I have to remember to suck in my mommy gut when I take pictures of myself. Geez.


Okay for some reason I can't find this on the website but it's definitely a casual cutie. I'm really not into denim except as jeans but I dig this style. I think I would probably belt it. It was pretty TTS/maybe slightly small.

That's all I found for now. I'm praying that the Jules Dress in Silk Scarf Foulard actually gets marked down low enough to purchase at some point. I think that may be my Jules!


2 comments:

  1. Have you tried the Jules Dress in Snowcat? I know it's rayon, but at least it's dry clean recommended rather than dry clean only (not sure about the silk versions, but in my experience silk tends to be dry clean only). I liked the front pockets and found the business of the print more flattering on me than the colorblock, which just emphasizes my already very rectangular body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been waiting for the 'perfect' Jules myself. I like the look on others, but can't seem to make it work for me.
    I do think the color block looks cute on you. The contrast between the colors seems to create a more flattering line. I'm going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete