Friday, July 24, 2015

J. Crew Review: Linen Sundress in Iridescent Sequin, Chevron Pencil Skirt and Striped Tuxedo Dress

I thought I'd pop these reviews up while J Crew's crazy summer sale continues. 75% off is pretty incredible. I was up early this morning with the baby but I still didn't bite on anything. I'm trying to get better about the whole "well it's only $10" rhetoric. At the end of the year I find I have A LOT of "it was only $10" items that I don't really like or need that much. That being said, I did fall into that trap the other day at Banana Republic when they just happened to have 2 pairs of shoes in my size that I couldn't resist for around $25 bucks a pop. One of them is these lovelies in the taupe color. They are a little crazy and a little high and I'm not sure I will keep them but I thought I should hold onto them until I decide :)

Linen Sundress in Iridescent Sequin (size 2)
This just went on sale and sold out with the extra 40%. It's lovely but I don't really have anywhere to wear it. I also found the fit a bit strange. It's basically fine and the length is right at the knee (I'm 5'4") but...

I sort of wanted to pull up the straps like I am doing in this left most picture. The whole thing sat a bit low on my frame. Also too much extra fabric in the hip area as I am showing in the right hand picture. What is up with that at J Crew these days? I get the waist to fit and then there is like 2 inches of fabric jutting out from the hips. Urgh. I do love the color, pattern and sequins. I think if I'm going to go sequin dress I would rather have this one from J Crew or this amazing one by Alice+Olivia (not that either is anywhere near within my budgetary restraints)

 Pencil Skirt in Chevron Stripe (size 0)
I thought this one would be a slam dunk for me. It fits TTS and I do love stripes but I didn't find it particularly flattering. The way the side panels are sewn on - they can get a little lumpy. Still, as far as pencil skirts go it's pretty nice. J Crew does know what they are doing in this department. I love this more colorful one by Clover Canyon. Yes, still out of my price range.

 Striped Tuxedo Shift Dress (XS)
I saw this on Gigi of Gigi's Gone Shopping and thought she looked lovely in it. It's a nice cotton - sort of like wearing a shirtdress - and the length is good. Love the hemline.

It just didn't hang quite right. Maybe once my boobs shrink a little more post-bf. I really wanted this to be my new go-to summer dress but it doesn't hang quite as nicely as I'd like. I have high hopes for this new striped dress from J Crew. Looks super cute and has some seaming which would probably help it lay a little better.
Joe Fresh has this cute little inexpensive option.
Lou&Grey at Loft also has a cute one. It's on sale currently for 50% off.
This one from the Loft is almost sold out but looks just right.
Of course, can never go wrong with a classic Ralph Lauren polo style stripe dress.

I'll check the sale again tomorrow, of course. Going to try to stay strong unless something really amazing comes up. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment